Free Online Database Of Diseases, Illnesses & Ailments


Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning

Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning Causes

Neurotoxic shellfish poisoning is caused by eating or ingesting toxins produced in Gymnodinium breve, an organism commonly associated with red tides. They occasionally proliferate in clams, oysters, mussels, and other shellfish found in the Mexican Gulf and the Atlantic coast of southern USA.

Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning Definition

Neurotoxic shellfish poisoning is a rare type of food poisoning that results from ingesting contaminated shellfish.

Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning Diagnosis

Diagnosis of neurotoxic shellfish poisoning is based on clinical presentations with gastrointestinal and neurologic symptoms, along with a recent history of eating shellfish. If available, the ingested fish can be tested for the presence of toxins.

Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning Symptoms and Signs

Common symptoms of neurotoxic shellfish poisoning include: numbness in or around the mouth; a tingling sensation in the mouth; a tingling sensation in arms and legs; poor coordination; gastrointestinal disturbances; and temperature reversal. Symptoms typically present within 1-3 hours after eating the contaminated shellfish.

Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning Treatment

Other than symptomatic and supportive care, there are no treatment methods that specifically deal with neurotoxic shellfish poisioning.

Most Viewed Pages

Recent Searches

Our Visitors Ask About

Medical News